Overcrowded department stores. Shopping. Rush-hour traffic. Cooking. Cleaning. Yep, the holidays are upon us. Maybe you’re happy the season is here (or not!), but you might find yourself frustrated with your skin. What gives?
When we're stressed, our bodies have a chemical response, causing all kinds of spikes in hormones that affect our skin. Basically, when you're stressed out, so is your skin - making it more sensitive and reactive.
What happens exactly? Your body releases cortisol and other hormones that tell your sebaceous glands to produce more oil (great, right?) – thus causing a higher tendency to breakout.
Below, we offer tips to help deal with this season’s holiday stress and bring back your beautiful skin.
- Take Time (even if it’s just 10 minutes) For Yourself. Read your favorite book, take a bubble bath, and/or meditate. The proven benefits of meditation go a long way.
- Say No! Set limits and boundaries to give yourself a break. You’ve tried to do it all, but you know you can’t. Trust us: Once you say no to Aunt Sally the first time, it becomes a whole lot easier.
- Exercise Regularly. Exercise keeps your mind fresh and allows you to sweat out some of your body’s toxins. Read more about the beauty benefits of exercise, here.
- Get at Least 7-8 Hours of Sleep Each Night. It’s simple. Sleep helps recharge your body, making it more resilient to stress.
- Pamper Yourself. Getting a facial or massage releases tension. Another plus? Routine facials/massages will help keep your skin fresh and glowing! See some of L’Arte Della Bellazza’s skin services here.
- Use Good Skincare Products. Products that contain salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide - like Obagi’s Clenziderm Cleanser - help open pores to clear the skin of bacteria and acne.
- Adopt a Low Glycemic Diet. Cutting the empty carbs has proven to reduce acne flare-ups. Eat healthy foods like leafy greens, fruits and vegetables, whole grains and healthy fats.
- Wear Sunscreen. Sun exposure can cause acne flare-ups and increase the signs of aging (yikes!). Wear sunscreen even in the winter.
- Keep Your Hands Away From Your Face. Bacteria from your hands can stimulate an acne outbreak, especially when you’re stressed.
- Exfoliate. Buffing away dead skin cells will allow the new skin to shine through, giving you a radiant complexion. Exfoliating regularly also helps keep pores clean.
Never neglect your skin, and this holds true especially when you’re feeling stressed. For more tips like those in this article, like us on Facebook
and follow us on Twitter.
Interested in learning more about our services? Visit us at https://lartebellezza.com